Tomás Rafael Rodríguez Zayas (Tomy) 1949-2010

I learned the news yesterday that my friend, the great Cuban cartoonist known as Tomy, had died suddenly of a heart ailment on Sept. 6, 2010. I was lucky enough to have corresponded with Tomy for many pleasant years. I could always count on a collection of new cartoons or photos in his messages.

tomy-mural

There are many tributes already written about this great cartoonist by friends and colleagues who knew him face to face. This example: http://www.cubadebate.cu/noticias/2010/09/07/murio-el-caricaturista-cubana-tomas-rodriguez-zayas-tomy/ is available in Spanish only unfortunately. It was a dream of mine to have been able to visit Tomy in Havana one day but that was not to be. Memories of our email discussions will have to suffice now. Farewell, friend. I am better for having known you.

The following cartoons by Tomy were the last I received several weeks ago.

 British Petroleum Hielo

Tragedia Europea   Autodestrucción    

Seguro de Salud

Mural SC 2

 Mural SC

My condolences and best wishes for Tomy’s family and colleagues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garrincha Cartoon Website

The Golden Compass And The Religious Right