Pages

Friday, November 09, 2007

Sad Excuse For "Creativity"

Aquadots, another crap toy claiming to be creative has been recalled because the coating on the "beads," when ingested, form the GHB compound. This is toxic to young children, and in higher dosages, adults. This is just one more product that suffers the "production at lowest cost" syndrome that is standard operating for big business these days. Lowest cost only includes actual monetary cost. Safety, cost to workers and other factors are not considered. This is what happens when products are produced in sweat shop type factories by barely paid and abused workers. Even though China claims to be Communist, it is just another in the long line of State Capitalist governments pissing on Marxist ideology. Capitalists love slave laborers no matter what flag they reside under.

 

The toy itself is junk. It is marketed as a toy for four years old and above but there are many "parents" who seem to think it is appropriate for it to be around toddlers, who will put anything in their mouths. Anyone with a modicum of sense would not allow a toy like this in a household with very young children.

 

These examples seem to be the norm:

 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - The parents of a Jacksonville toddler were horrified when their child swallowed part of a colorful toy bead set made in China and then passed out. He apparently was overcome when the coating on the beads metabolized into a chemical compound known as the "date rape drug."

 

"I thought he was going to die. I didn't want to tell my kids that, of course, but I thought he was going to die," said Shelby Esses, whose son Jack swallowed a handful of Spin Master Aqua Dots the day before Halloween. "It was horrible."

 

Jack Esses, 20 months old, started stumbling and throwing up the Aqua Dots after playing with his sister's set on Oct. 30, his mother said in an interview Thursday. For a time, he slipped out of consciousness -- waking up only to vomit.

 

"I thought that the Aqua Dots had to have done something, but I wasn't sure because I didn't think they were toxic. There was no warning on the box that said they were toxic. It just said that they were a choking hazard," the child's mother said. (as if this wasn't enough. david)

 

In Australia, the toy was named toy of the year at an industry function. But the toys, known as Bindeez in that country, were ordered off store shelves Tuesday when officials learned that a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were hospitalized after swallowing the beads. A 19-month-old and an 18-month-old also were being treated.

 

aquadots

 

SAFETY RECALL ON AQUA DOTS

 

This product is longer available for sale on this website as it has been recalled by the manufacturer.

 

The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added, contains a chemical that turns toxic when ingested. Children who swallow large quantities can become unconscious, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures.

 

Consumers with Aqua Dots should immediately remove the beads from children and contact Spin Master's customer service department at:1-800-622-8339 Between 9:00 A.M. & 6:00 P.M. EST Monday - Friday to receive replacement beads or toy of equal value.

For more information please visit http://www.aquadotsrecall.com

 

Placing dots on a grid and gluing them together is not very creative. I place it on the boredom scale up there with Lite-Brite and Color-Forms. How about giving your kid a box of Crayola crayons and a big drawing pad? There's also water color and finger paints. Children should be developing their real imaginations and not some pre-designed template garbage. Coloring within the lines is not creative!

 

Toys like Aquadots are designed with one thing in mind. The objective is to cause the purchase of refill beads. It is also one more load of plastic junk that will end up in a landfill.

No comments: