Media Thoughts

My Drawing In The IranCartoon Exhibition

My Drawing On Display At The IranCartoon Exhibition

It has been a strange couple of weeks. The whole controversy over Irancartoon's Holocaust cartoon exhibition has thrust little 'ol me into some weird spotlight. I'm not sure why. The interest seems to come from the puzzlement over an American entering an Iranian competition. I must have been the only American entrant that was easy to locate. Why would I enter such a contest? I was more interested in their question of "what is the limit to free speech in the West?" For me, it was simply a way of making contact with cartoonists in Iran. I do this with other countries as well. There are many fantastic artists and cartoonists working in Iran. I have found most of the cartoonists friendly and accepting--something I can't say for a lot of the "professional" cartoonists in America. They are mostly a clique of pat-on-each-others backs kind of people. Every year they gather for their banquets to tell each other who great they are. I don't know of any I would want to associate with.

My little moment in the blazing Sun came when I received an email from a producer at Fox "News" requesting that I appear on Hannity & Colmes to discuss my involvement with the Iran thing. That was an easy decision. I declined. I don't think there are enough showers in the world that could wash THAT stink off me had I agreed. I wouldn't bother with any of the corporate media for that matter. It's just that Fox is particularly despicable. I really wasn't in the mood for a screeching ambush spectacle. I can guarantee that I would get really pissed off and end up putting my fist down some loud mouth's throat. Blowhards like Bill O'Reilly might get off telling guests to shut up but I'm no pacifist so there's no telling how much trouble I would get myself into pounding that goon's head off a table.

The BBC World Service was an easy decision also. I agreed. It was a pleasant experience. The interviewer was professional. He asked questions and then allowed me to answer--get this--without arguing with me! If only we could get a real news service in the US. Wouldn't it be great to have a truly informed public? Sigh... Now, it will be interesting to see if I am tracked down by the local excuses for TV or print news.

Comments

Ben Heine said…
Hi David,
Thanks for the interesting information on your great Blog.
This Irancartoon competition becomes really "controversial". I participated to this contest, but only to challenge the Western freedom of expression, not of course to spread antisemite or racist opinions. Like you, I would have preferred if the theme of the contest had remained : "The redline of the Western Freedom of Expression". This is the only reason I poarticipated to this contest. If you don't mind, I'll insert on my Blog your cartoon with your very relevant comnent about this contest and I'll also insert one of the cartoon I inserted to Irancartoon... Have a good day!See you on Flickr too...
Ben
lifeflaw said…
David, I admire your courage to participate in this exhibition. Great work.
David Baldinger said…
Ahmad. It takes no courage to draw a cartoon. Courage is living under intolerable conditions and brutality on a daily basis.

Popular posts from this blog

Garrincha Cartoon Website

The Golden Compass And The Religious Right